What is an Etsy star seller?
Starting last month sellers will see a new Star Seller section in their Shop Manager dashboard. Here you’ll find how you’re performing in these key areas: responding to messages, shipping, 5-star ratings, sales, and orders. Etsy will start rewarding sellers with a Star Seller badge—making it easier for shoppers on Etsy to know you have a proven record of providing an excellent customer experience. It is a way to recognize and reward Etsy sellers who consistently provide an excellent customer experience.
Why Etsy chose this criteria
from buyer research that these areas are important in providing a positive customer experience. Performing well in these areas could also help you become a more successful Etsy seller. Here’s how:
- Buyers are more likely to come back and shop from you when you ship your orders on time, than if you ship late. Based on same-shop repeat purchase rate data between Jan 2020 and Dec 2020.
- Sellers who respond to buyer messages within 24 hours are four times more likely to make a sale than sellers with a longer response time. Based on conversion rate data from initial buyer messages between Jan 2020 and Dec 2020.
- Buyers that leave a 5-star rating are more likely to come back and shop from you than buyers leaving lower ratings. Based on same-shop repeat purchase rate data between Jan 2020 and Dec 2020.
Etsy created a checklist to help sellers strive for the star seller
This checklist covers key steps you can take to ensure the best customer experience, setting your shop up for Star Seller success and continued growth.
❏ Respond to messages quickly.
When shoppers have questions about your products, they want answers right away. Set aside some time each day for responding to questions, and aim to answer questions within 24-hours or less. Response rate is also an important piece of Star Seller criteria: To qualify, you’ll need to respond to 95% or more of initial messages from buyers within 24 hours (just the first message, not ongoing conversations). You’ll also need to meet the other Star Seller criteria, which you can read here.
Tools for success:
- Download the Sell on Etsy App for your Android or iOS device, so you can respond to messages quickly, even when you’re away from your computer.
- While it’s important to personalize the messages you send, you can save time getting started by using saved replies to keep a library of frequently used responses on hand.
❏ Establish your policy on returns and exchanges.
While shop policies don’t directly impact Star Seller eligibility, they can help encourage positive reviews by setting clear expectations with shoppers. Positive reviews are another important criteria for Star Seller: To qualify, 95% or more of your reviews will need to have 5-star ratings.
In your shop policies, you should establish clear guidelines for whether you’ll accept returns and/or exchanges. If a buyer does contact you to coordinate a return or exchange, the first step is to work with the buyer to decide:
- Where the buyer should send the item (generally to your address)
- The time frame in which you want to receive it
- Who will be responsible for the cost of return shipping, if you don’t state this in your shop policies
❏ Ship on time.
To qualify for Star Seller, you’ll need 95% or more of your orders to ship within your stated processing time and with tracking* or you purchased a shipping label on Etsy. Digital orders will not require tracking information.
Ship within your stated processing times. We use the processing times you set for each listing to determine the ship-by date. Update your processing times to accurately reflect your workflow and set clear expectations with shoppers.
Add tracking, or use shipping labels on Etsy. If you’re in the United States you can save up to 30% on retail postage rates by purchasing shipping labels on Etsy. Plus, if you purchase a USPS shipping label on Etsy, cut down on trips to the post office by scheduling a free pickup from your USPS postal carrier or by bringing them to a USPS postal drop-off location, if available in your area.
❏ Add thoughtful touches.
Let your customers know how much you appreciate their business with a handwritten thank-you note and branded packaging. You can also create a thank-you coupon to automatically send your customers an email with a coupon code after their order is complete. It’s a special touch that just might inspire them to leave a great review—and to make another purchase in the near future. Those little touches that show you went above and beyond will make them smile and could positively influence their review.
❏ Communicate delays.
If you learn that an item is delayed in transit, tell your buyer as early as possible so they’re not left wondering why their order didn’t arrive when expected. You can let your buyers know about delays and when you plan to ship their orders through messages and by using your shop announcement. Communicating proactively about any changes can help ensure a positive experience and more consistent positive reviews for your shop.
Our shop on Etsy is proud to be a Star Seller for the month of October and we are striving to keep the badge. We are giving away with every purchase a free NC coastal seashell & starting in November every Friday we will be giving away a freebie ( see our Instagram for more details in November)
Visit our shop to see all what we offer! : http://www.printhousedesign.com